Thursday, July 7, 2011

14

Although I did not realize it at the time 14 turned out to be a pivetol year in my wedding planning. Mostly by default.

When I was 14 I decided I needed to make something big happen in my life. Truth be told 14 is just awkward. Your in high school without a job, boyfriend or car. Stuck. Not quiete fitting in with your fellow classmates or your friends who are still in middle school. In a desperate attempt to make something cool happen I suggested my parents throw me a quinceanera. I felt it was my fight as a "Cuba-rican" to at the very least have a quince. Obviously my parents had other plans that year than spending $20,000 on a Sweet 15 party for there daughter who was only really Hispanic by blood. I pouted and ranted. No Luck. Finally my father gave me a choice, " I will pay for your quinceanera but then I will not pay for your weeding you have to pick". I shouted "If I become a 30 year old cat lady I am going to HATE you". He laughed.

Thank God I chose the wedding. Not only is it far more important but it would be horrible to explain to Alek that I used my chip on a glorified birthday party!

Rebellion was also to be a part of my ninth grade plan. Every Sunday night I spent the entire evening at youth group. It wasn't awful but I could think of much more fun ways to spend my time. I remember the priest telling us we would have to start attending two nights a week if we wanted to make our confirmation as Catholics. He also mentioned casually that no one could make us do our confirmation. It had to be a choice we made as adults. I gloated the whole way home. I was not going to do it. Upon explaining this to my mother she not-so-calmly explained that I was not an adult and I was going to the classes. She also mentioned proudly that one day when I got married I would thank her.

Given that I'm jumping through a million firey hoops to get married in the Catholic church I must admit she was right. Had I have not had my confirmation I would have had to go through so many classes. More than the 13 weeks I already committed to. I think I have always dreamt of this big Catholic wedding I just never really believed it would happen.

I am starting to get excited about all the planning.

Also, just to let you know the date is June 30 at Christ the King. Thank goodness for the Confirmation

No comments:

Post a Comment